- Dead Armadillo Wort Giveaway Tasting & PotluckAugust 16, 2019Hey Gang, Here’s a reminder that tomorrow is the tasting and judging event for the Dead Armadillo wort giveaway. This event is open to all club members, whether or not you participated in the wort giveaway. All you need to bring is a snack to share, and an appetite for homebrew! The event will be taking place at Dead Armadillo (1004 E. 4th St. Tulsa) from noon until 4 p.m. The judging will take place at 1 p.m. Dead Armadillo is an all-ages establishment, as well as pet friendly. So come as you are and bring whom you like. Hope to see you all there!
- Start Brewing for FOAM Cup!August 16, 2019It’s official! FOAM Cup has been registered with the BJCP and the main judging will be on November 8th and 9th. FOAM Cup is the biggest fundraiser for the club which makes this a “all hands on deck” event. We will need judges, stewards and volunteers to help with setup and cleanup. Can’t do any of those things? No worries. You can brew a beer and enter it! This year entries are $8 and you must provide 2 bottles per entry. You can read the complete rules here. Please be aware that there are guidelines for preparing the bottles so if you have questions, please email me. Right now you can register online as a judge or steward but you cannot input entries until 09/28/2019. The registration site is https://foamcup.us. We are always looking for prizes so if you have any leads to vendors that might be a good fit, you can pass that along by sending an email to [email protected] I’ll be sending out emails and communications as we get closer. START BREWING!!! Desiree Knott VP Communications [email protected]
- Fall competition update 2019Club Competitions, Competitions, FOAM Cup, High Plains, Octoberfest, Officer Reports, VP Communications, VP CompetitionsAugust 8, 2019August is mead month and registration for the TSF the unofficial kick off to the Fall competition season (I can smell the corn dogs already)!! With the Summer coming to an end, kids going back to school, crisp autumn weather off in the distance. It is time to resume brewing for competitions (some of us never really stopped). Look for the following dates updated as we have more information. We recently learned that the OKC State Fair home brew competition has been discontinued indefinitely. This would have been early September event. The Tulsa State Fair is currently alive and well. Registration has begun and is open until 8/30. Take in will be Saturday, September 14, 2019, 8am – 5pm, Central Park Hall. Judging dates and volunteer info to follow. Registration link https://www.tulsastatefair.com/p/getconnected/competitive-exhibits/adult-entries The Sowers Cup hosted by the Lincoln Lagers and part of the High Plains Circuit. Dates TBA but is usually in early October. Look for a late September take in Hoppy Halloween hosted by The Prairie Homebrewing Companions registration is open 9/13-10/13 Entries are $8 ea. 2 bottles per submission. Entries due to High Gravity by 10/13 at 2 pm. Awards Ceremony will be held 10/26. Registration link http://hoppyhalloween.com/index.htm FOAM cup registration open 9/28. deadline to High Gravity is 10/26 $8/entry. Formal judging 11/4-11/9 wrapping up with the banquet and awards ceremony. This event is one of the main revenue drivers
- Iron Brewer Registration is Here!April 2, 2019It’s that time again, when we gather at Haikey Creek and brew a mystery beer! Registration for Iron Brewer teams are now underway. For those not aware of what Iron Brewer is, it’s modeled after Iron Chef. Teams choose either all-grain or extract in a 5 or 10 gallons batch size and are given a variety of ingredients for brewing their beer. There will be 3 “special” ingredients and teams must use at least one in their brew. Judging is at the July meeting with a Joe Six-Pack Award decided by the meeting attendees, and the FOAM Iron Brewer Award which is determined by judges that compare the beer against what the team said their beer will taste like. Teams must have at least 2 participants. Team Captains are responsible for registering the team. To register, click here. If you aren’t on a team but would like to participate you can also register and request a team. (Do not register if you already have a team.) This year’s Iron Brewer is April 27th at Haikey Creek Park. Setup starts at 9am. Ingredients will be presented at 10am. Lunch will be provided. For complete rules, click here.
- Winter 2019 competition updatesFebruary 18, 2019A few competition update and results are listed below. Important dates March 9th: Entries for IBU Open are due to High Gravity Entries fo NHC first round due to High Gravity for the Kansas City judging site Champion of the Pint awards ceremony and results March 23rd: IBU Open awards ceremony and results Tentative date for the Masters Champion of Amateur Brewing is late April early May details as they come available. The Kansas City Biermeisters had their annual competition this weekend. A few of us braved the weather to attend and enjoyed overwhelming hospitality. Despite fierce competition FOAM managed to bring a few medals home. The winners are as follows 2nd David Thompson It’s Why We Won The War. Thanks Pete 5D: German Pils Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM) [OK] 3rd Eric Donie Kinglsey the Kind 2C: International Dark Lager Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM) [OK] 2nd Peter Polczynski Cofefe Common 19B: California Common Fellowship Of Oklahoma Alemakers 2nd Peter Polczynski Lancaster Bomber 12C: English IPA Fellowship Of Oklahoma Alemakers 3rd Larry Herriman Co-Brewer: David Thompson Future Bad Decisions 33B: Specialty Wood-Aged Beer Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM) [OK] Well it looks like the results have posted from the Minnesota Mashout (formerly The Upper Mississippi Mashout) and out 1000 entries a few attained victory. Looks like Peter Polczynski is the Belle of the Ball The rest of the results after the break.